Hello everyone! Happy Friday!
There are a lot of things I wanted to write about, but none of them long enough to be an adequate blog post, so I just thought I’d post a hodgepodge of goodies for everyone!
Let’s get started with a fun video for all you lovers of language out there. Below is John Green (author of The Fault in Our Stars) sharing the origins of idioms. Mental Floss is doing a very fun series with him. Other videos include weird college mascots, misquotations, grammar mistakes, and the names of fictional characters you didn’t know had actual names.
How about some fun and interesting links? Okay, here are a five!
- Here’s a New York Times blog post on a study that shows reading literary fiction enables you to read emotions and empathize.
- There’s a map of the most popular media outlets by state. I personally find this fascinating and stared at it for a long period of time.
- If you’ve read the Jon Krakauer story Into the Wild or saw the Sean Penn directed movie, you know that the cause of death of the main character, Christopher McCandless was somewhat of a mystery. The New Yorker published Kraukauer’s follow-up to how McCandless really died. I highly recommend reading Into the Wild before reading this. It’s a short read and very good (as is all of Krakauer’s work).
- It makes the rounds on the web a lot, but I simply love Kurt Vonnegut’s 8 Rules for Writing Fiction.
- I love a good list and the 28 Signs You Were An English Major is truer than true (for me, at least).
- Since it’s the beginning of October that means new books are hitting the shelves! What are you most excited for? For me it’s Allegiant by Veronica Roth and The Circle by Dave Eggers (I am a total Dave Eggers fangirl).
- Drunk Literature is a thing.
- If you’re obsessed with Lorde and Royals as much as I am (or even half as obsessed as I am) here’s a cool mash-up of her uber hit and M.I.A.’s Paper Planes my friend Jenna sent me. If you like a capella, this is totally for you. That one’s from my friend Mike.
- Are you mourning the loss of Breaking Bad and Jesse Pinkman like I am? Relieve everything terrible thing that’s ever happened to him.
There’s been some additions to the blog! While there’s nothing major going on, I added a contact page, an important dates page (ominous, no?), and a 100 Books List that I won’t to complete by the time I’m 30. A girl can dream.
That’s all from me! Have the loveliest of weekends. Until Tuesday, I’m out.