It’s been kinda quiet here in my little corner of cyberspace, but I’m emerging from my writer cave to say that I am finished with my draft! Holla!
It’s a pretty good feeling to be done, I won’t lie. If I can toot my own horn here for a second, this is my sixth ‘first draft’ of a novel. That’s an encouraging number. Realistically though, lot of stuff gets abandoned after first drafts, at least for me. Now the real challenge comes in making the subsequent drafts better. This is where I stumble.
So I’ll be taking a break from my draft in order to come back to it with fresh eyes. I should give it a cutesy little nickname based of it’s title but I am terrible at titling my own things, so for now I’m just going to call it A. And no, it’s not a reference to one of my favorite guilty pleasures, Pretty Little Liars (the tv show). In the mean time, I might edit some other things or start something new. I haven’t decided. I’ll go back to it soon though because my next workshop starts in a month. AHHH.
Anyways, I thought I’d link to some other cool book things. Enjoy!
- Here’s a video interview with author Joyce Carol Oates. She’s one of my favorites and I really admire her work ethic (via The New Yorker).
- The New York Times has a crazy cool article on how they discovered it was JK Rowling who wrote The Cuckoo’s Calling.
- Chuck Klosterman stopped by NPR to talk about his new book, I Wear the Black Hat.
- Zen pencils illustrated John Green’s advice to writers. I simply love this.
- And lastly, Mental Floss assures me that I will have a great brain when I am old and grey.
Have a great rest of the week, everyone!